Netanyahu isolates himself from his government and shocks the occupation army regarding the ground invasion of Gaza
The American newspaper “The New York Times” revealed that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is isolating himself from his government almost completely after the collapse of popular support for him, and he shocked the army by refusing to sign the plan to invade the Gaza Strip by land, and it appears that the new alternative plan to the ground invasion is to implement short ground incursions. Which the occupation army does in northern Gaza from time to time.
Major chaos in Israeli political circles and Netanyahu loses contact with the government
The American newspaper reported that Netanyahu seemed unusually isolated from members of the government since the Al-Aqsa Flood operation, in light of the latest opinion polls revealing a decline in popular support for Netanyahu, which reinforced accusations that his chaotic leadership over the past year paved the way for a catastrophic security failure.
She continued that Netanyahu has only received unconditional support from a very small number of members of his government, as some simply say that scrutiny of the government’s mistakes should wait until the war ends, but it seems that other members of the government do not want to wait.
Miki Zohar, a member of the Israeli government, said: “I am saying in the clearest way possible, it is clear to me that Netanyahu and the entire government of Israel and everyone under whose supervision this happened bear responsibility for what happened, and this is also clear to Netanyahu. And he bears responsibility as well.”
She added that a former aide to Netanyahu had launched a campaign on social media to prolong Israeli air strikes on Gaza before any ground operation began. Aryeh Deri, a member of parliament and a long-time supporter of the prime minister, said in an interview on Monday that the army had not prepared a plan for an invasion. Gaza only recently.
The newspaper pointed out that the Israeli media interpreted this confirmation as an attempt to indicate that it is the army – not the prime minister – that needs more time to prepare, stressing that the repercussions of Operation Al-Aqsa Flood extend beyond Netanyahu’s personal fate.
The shock of the October victory is repeated inside Israel
The American newspaper explained that the shock Israel faced in Operation Al-Aqsa Flood is very similar to the shock from the Yom Kippur War or the Yom Kippur War, when the Arab armies attacked Israel, a war that changed Israeli society and the course of the state after Egypt’s success in liberating the entire Sinai Peninsula.
The newspaper explained that in light of Israel’s mobilization of its forces on the Gaza border, Israeli political and military leaders are divided over how, when, and even whether to invade, according to seven senior military officers and three Israeli officials.
They say the postponement is partly intended to give negotiators more time to try to secure the release of some of the more than 200 detainees.
The newspaper added that some of them are concerned that a ground invasion might drag the Israeli army into an intractable urban battle inside Gaza, and others fear the outbreak of a broader conflict, as Hezbollah launches long-range missiles towards Israeli cities.
She added that some in Israel support a ground incursion and short operations with aerial bombardment, and rule out the idea of a ground invasion, as Danny Danon, a senior lawmaker from the Likud Party, the right-wing party led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, said: “You have a government with different views.”
The newspaper explained that chaos is sweeping Israel, especially the political and defense circles, which have failed to take a unified decision so far. After nearly three weeks, the Netanyahu government has not yet given the green light, although the army says that it has made some short incursions across the border, and that He will make more incursions in the coming days.
She continued that the military leadership had already put the final touches on the invasion plan, but Netanyahu angered senior officers by refusing to sign it – partly because he wanted unanimous approval from members of the war cabinet he formed after the October 7 attack, according to two people present at the cabinet meetings. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.
Analysts believe Netanyahu is wary of giving the green light unilaterally, because with public confidence in his leadership already declining, he fears he will be blamed if the process fails.
The newspaper added that instead, ministers are also considering a less ambitious plan that includes several limited incursions targeting a small part of the Gaza Strip at a time, but within the military establishment, there is concern that Israel’s goals will become unclear if Netanyahu follows through on his promise on Wednesday to seek… At the same time, he seeks to free all detainees while also trying to destroy Hamas.