Urgent.. The Belgian Minister of Justice resigns after the Brussels attack
Belgian Justice Minister Vincent Van Quickenborn said that he decided to resign after pressure related to the way Belgium dealt with the case of a Tunisian gunman who declared himself affiliated with ISIS and killed two people in Brussels this week.
Van Quickenborn said that an investigation conducted into the 45-year-old Tunisian man, who shot dead two Swedish football fans in Brussels on Monday evening, revealed that Tunisia had submitted a request for his deportation from Belgium in August 2022, but the Belgian judicial authorities ignored the request.
He added to reporters: “This is an unforgivable mistake that had tragic consequences,” and he continued when announcing his resignation: “I want to bear full political responsibility for that.”
In a video clip posted on social media, the gunman identified himself as Abdul Salam Al-Jilani and claimed responsibility for the attack.
Al-Jilani had requested asylum in Belgium in 2019, but his attempt failed and he was living there illegally.
Van Quickenborn said earlier this week that Al-Jilani was known to Belgian police for his connection to smuggling people into Britain.
The gunman targeted the two Swedes while they were in Brussels to watch the Belgium-Sweden match in the European Championship qualifiers. The match could not be completed on Monday due to gunfire.
Belgian Prime Minister Alexander De Croo described the shooting as a “brutal terrorist attack.”